Who You Are

You are not the product of your circumstances. You are a composite of all the things you believe, and all the places you believe you can go...You can step out of your history and create a new day for yourself...Even if every bad thing that can happen to you, does. - Oprah

I am not one to quote- and conversely worship- Oprah but I stumbled on this quote from an old post I wrote several years back and it seemed to speak to me. However, I still did not quite understand it until a few days ago.


I learnt from this article to turn my thinking about the issues I have on its head and one of the things I came up with was going to make a presentation to an old but very influential friend of mine. Turns out it was the right nudging because I cannot explain how inspired I am after that meeting. There are friends who bring you down to earth and there are those who lift you high; but rarely do you find anyone who does both simultaneously and gloriously. I came for one conversation and I had several that left me believing that I can and I am. 


This friend of mine is the living, breathing, example of Oprah's quote above.  From practically nothing he has built in 3 years a full service agency to be reckoned with in the country and, more importantly, with structure and a system. Fighting head to head with the best established in the industry and winning more times than not. And he is still building and learning and building.


I am holding back from saying a lot  because there is so much I am processing. But I realised that I needed to document the occurrence hence this post. Oprah's words above are to be taken literally because they mean exactly what they sound like they mean. Just one visit and I am a believer in my own dreams.


You are where your mind wants to go. That is who you are.


(to be continued)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

International Women's Day Reflection: Take Back Your Body ( And Mindset)

All The Times I DIed

Kids Say The Darndest Things