Tell me how what I'm wearing Matters!

Hiya Everyone,


This life is funny. Look at it this way. I turned 30 this year and it was such a terrible birthday that I promised myself a present, as soon as I came into my fortune. So fast-forward to this month and I'm going to purchase the phone that has the tag-line, 'what computers have become'. (If you know it,great.I'm a gadget freak.) I'm looking forward to having it, but at the same time I'm planning where and when I will take it -or not take it. The reason is that phones get stolen these days; either by default or by omission; if you are in a place like a pub, or a bar, or even a club, people can just walk in and line everyone up and start collecting 'offerings' of phones and/or cash. (I even heard recently of one robbery where the people were asked to line up and withdraw money from their accounts using their ATM cards!) And if my 'what cameras have become' is under threat of being whisked away from me, I won't give it up without a fight o.


So you can imagine my happiness when I heard the present governor of Lagos, Babatunde Fashola, had decided to do something positive about it. To me that showed what sort of person he was/is and how committed he is to making Lagos work. I guess I spoke too soon.


Next thing I know everyone is complaining, on the radio and on the streets. Nigerian police have increased their level of lunacy. Apparently, the latest thing is to stop pedestrians, male or female, and harass them, over what they look like, or what they are wearing! Believe it or not! Girls have called radio stations to report how they were beaten by policemen over the type of outfit they were wearing.Their MO is that they drop something and then ask the girl to pick it up. If she bends, and her g-string shows, or her shirt lifts, she is beaten, put in their patrol car, taken to their station,and thrown into the cell. Other versions say she is charged to court. For the men, if they have dreadlocks, or are wearing shorts or something they are immediately picked up. Imagine that!!



Now, I don't care for the sentiments of those who think the government has a point because girls dress provocatively. I dont care for it primarily because its not the provocative dressing of girls that's responsible for the decadence and sexual misconduct prevalent among government officials. It's not responsible for the corruption and stealing that is the norm in our seats of power. It's not responsible for the incessant power seizures, fuel scarcity and lack of infrastructure we are faced with. It is not responsible for the unabated poverty we are so comfortable with. And it certainly is not responsible for the alarming level of insecurity in Lagos!

(This was the post that I had been trying to get out for over a week now,for some reason, some of it being that I was ill, I couldn't get it done. Anyway, I'm happy I didnt because I got new info on the issue. Apparently, the new commissioner of police, some sharia-bound thug named Muhammed Abubakar, gave the order, probably after becoming tired of intimidating his wives and children at home. But he and anyone who has him under their purview should be arrested and whipped. Apparently, they all dont know what they are meant to be doing. and that includes Fashola. Stupid People!!!)

Chili


Comments

Dami said…
it's funny how people are quick to point that the cp is a sharia apologist; might be because of his hausa name or something but truth be told this harassments by the police were frequent in Lagos way before he got posted there!
the gov. and the CP are now denying they gave the order.

nice blog
pamela said…
Thank heavens it was arrested. What I found funny was deials all round. Maybe they heard the voice of God in thier sleep. *hiss*

Im waiting for your story girl! the monologues are on a tight schedule

and please update your blog
Chili Pepa said…
@ Dami : whoever is responsible let them be castrated!

@Pam: ASAP. An update is long overdue and I'm working on it.

Popular posts from this blog

International Women's Day Reflection: Take Back Your Body ( And Mindset)

All The Times I DIed

Kids Say The Darndest Things