Independence Matters

Wazzap,

I promised you two stories emanating from this weekend so here goes the second.
I was in a supermarket on Saturday ,to do a bit of shopping for cosmetics, when I ran into an old boss of mine . At that meeting, he seemed quite happy to see me and even offered to pay for my purchases. Then the usual questions emerged: where are you now/ what do you do now? I was so happy to hand him my business card, as my present job is a departure from where I used to be. I could see that his respect grew when I told him what it was I did, and what kind of car I drive now- although, my darlings, I embellished the story a bit. He then suggested we went for a drink, and we did.

As we had our drinks I tried to catch up on the news in his office, my former office. One of the things I liked about this man was his candid nature, at least towards me. He gave me advice,even when it hurt, and always told me the truth about himself. Because he was a notorious philanderer, I asked him about his 'official' girlfriend, he told me where she is, presently. Then he proceeded to tell me how he would never have a 'new' girlfriend anymore, but would try to stick to his (numerous) regular dates. The reason was simple. In his short time philandering with new, 'big', girls outside and within Lagos, he realised that a lot of ladies were just looking for men they could fleece or live off.

He gave several scenarios: one which involved a mulatto who drove a Peugeot 307, but could barely afford to feed. They fell out over his reluctance to buy a generator for her. Then another one he fell for because her fiance cheated on her, and jilted her. She needed him to pay her rent, he didn't think that wa a good idea. They parted ways. All these happened barely within one month of a relationship with them.He wondered why these women didn't seem to want to find something to do to fend for themselves.

As he spoke, I remembered a girl I had worked with who never seemed to buy anything for herself. It was always one man or the other. Her relationship with men was purely dependent on if he could afford what she wanted. She used to laugh at my old, reliable, jalopy until a day I caught her in a statement. She said one of her boyfriends promised her a brand new car if he got the contract he was pursuing. I scoffed at the promise but she said he was the one who bought her first car for her. I then told her never to laugh at my car again, because I bought it with MY money, when I WAS 25 years old, not with the help of any man. That shut her up. But for a while, I had been feeling low because I had been comparing myself to a lot of people, especially ladies, and I felt that I came up short.

When I had finished my chat with that guy, I walked back to my car elated. That I had my own issues with finance is not a minus against me. It is infact a plus. I may not have the furniture I want, or the car I'd like or the clothes I'd like but at least what I have is mine. My house, my car, my clothes, my everything. Bought and paid for by me.

I'm proud of me.

Chili

Comments

Anonymous said…
and so you should be!
Interesting blog you have here. I love Naija stories, so I will visit often. Keep up the good work!
Anonymous said…
I sorry for you. Its not just about money, its the emotions behind each gift that counts. seems that me you are broke in the emotional bank account.
Chili Pepa said…
@You know me
Danke zayr

@nigeria politricks
Right back atcha. Your blog is both creative and deep.thanks for visiting babe.

@martins out
Baby, lighten up. If it was an 'emotional' gift these guys wouldnt be asking for sex. Hmm? But if YOU are in the habit of giving gifts emotional or otherwise I'm very, very, broke, and open to be taught. Mmmuaah!

Popular posts from this blog

International Women's Day Reflection: Take Back Your Body ( And Mindset)

All The Times I DIed

Kids Say The Darndest Things