Virginia Slim's- Slim Chance

You've come a long way Baby, I never quite understood those adverts as a child, but now as an adult I so desperately want to say those words to myself. And mean them. But.....

If I pay for the living room who pays for the ceiling? And the roof? Five years is too long to stay in this sort of place.

I grew up under the wings of some fantastic mentors. Many if not all, male. I sensed that I was being groomed for something big, and I thought by now I'd be grooming others. Now, 15 years later, I'm yet to see it. It' s getting kinda late to discover myself, isn't it? 'Who do people say I am?'

Which is better, being wealthy without social responsibility/ relevance, or being popular or socially relevant without financial strength?

So if I wanted to maintain focus what would I have focused on then? How do you maintain your self-respect and integrity if you stay in a man's company without a salary? Or continue working for a person who pays you the barest minimum he can get away with, while living fat off your ideas? '... To thine own self be true. '

I am crazy about people that have this self-satisfied demeanour. People who seem to know exactly where they are going in life, regardless of the moral, social, economic, religious or otherwise opposition to their opinion. I want that. And if I have it, I want to know that I do.

I used to listen to success stories, become star-struck by achievers, in awe of celebrities, when I met them. I put them on a pedestal; assuming they were full of virtues. Until I saw their vices, and they we're so ugly, it was unbelievable. So, what did they have over me? Absolutely nothing. '... But time and chance happeneth to them all...'

Lest we should be the last
To appear before you
We left our corn in the barn
And unprepared
We followed the winding way to you hut.

Our children begged for bread
From the women bearing golden gourds
And laughing on their way from the well.
But we did not stop.

Knowing that in your presence Our thirst would be assuaged
And our hunger banished
By the flowing milk of your words.

Now we have come to you
And are amazed to find
That those whom you loved and respected
Mock you to your face.


I'm not high. The reason for my semi-coherent rambling is that I am very low, too low to string ideas together sensibly.

Sometimes you wonder what the point of all this stress is, it is always an uphill journey. At least for me, it is.


Sent from my BlackBerry wireless device from MTN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

International Women's Day Reflection: Take Back Your Body ( And Mindset)

All The Times I DIed

Kids Say The Darndest Things