Dolupo Kuti, DSAN, And Other Stories

I was just watching a documentary on Femi Kuti, and the mechanics and emotions behind the shrine. One aspect that struck me particularly was a very brief interview with Dolupo Kuti. Now, I had seen this lady on two occasions when I went to interview Femi at the shrine. Both times I had just dimissed her as one of the many aged Kuti relatives. It was easy to do that, given the fact that she looked like the average, old Nigerian grandmother, in her ankara buba and wrapper, topped by her grey , short cut hair. Her looks were also accented by her few missing teeth which you would notice if she acknowledged or returned a greeting from you.

Anyway, in this interview, she expressed her opinion on why people flocked to the shrine. To my amazement, this old lady spoke flawless English that bordered on a British accent! It was when she was identified as Fela's sister that I said, 'okay'. Fela's family was no ordinary one. But Dolupo made me wonder something I had been wondering for a long time since I heard about Fela. What sort of parents did Fela have? What kind of people were they? What did they discuss when they sat in their home? How did they bring up their children that not one of them was just ordinary? I just wonder.


Speaking of children....................................

I have been feeling this pull, lately, to work with children who have Down's syndrome. I don't know why I am drawn in that direction, but I know when I had my first personal contact with a child with Down's syndrome.

His name is Babajide, they call him BJ. His father became a friend of mine by virtue of my work and we became do close that I started visiting them regularly. When I met BJ I already knew what Down's syndrome was, but I did not know what to expect from someone who had it. BJ showed me that there was nothing to fear. Children with Down's syndrome are the sweetest , most human creatures God put on earth. They have the ability to be angry but not the capacity for malice, they love routine, company and happiness. BJ would wake up in the morning and go immediately to do his chores. If for any reason he was unable to carry out his chores he would be uncomfortable until it was fixed. If you upset him, he forgot as soon as it was done, or as soon as he expressed himself, if you were introduced to him as a friend, he would welcome you with open arms. He loved to read his special books, loved (some) music and wouldn't mind listening to his collection over and over again.

There is a Down's Syndrome Association of Nigeria , I think I'll give them a call.

And in a totally unrelated development ....


I always knew my anonymity had gone to the dogs, but I never realised how much of myself I had put out there. Ex, who I spoke about here and here, and referred to here and here has been reading my blog. When he first spoke about my blog I thought he heard about it from someone and so I did not take him seriously, until a few days ago when he called and gave me some information and referred to my blog. Even talking about some things he had read there. Then to crown it, someone was able to trace me using this blog. He's also a blogger and has been- in his words- chasing me around for over a year, and,well, he found me. And even though that's not such a bad thing, ( cos we have very exciting conversations), it's the kind of thing that makes some people give up blogging. I toyed with the idea, but I have decided not to.

I love to write, I LIVE to write. People don't give up their passions because of some silly threat. I mean if Fela had stopped singing because he was persecuted or he suffered personal injuries, we would have forgotten about him by now. Music was his outlet, and this blog, writing, is mine. I mean if I don't write what will I do? And in truth, if you have a blog, you actually hope someone reads it and is moved by it, whichever way they are moved. Abi?


Chili!

Comments

Anonymous said…
if ur pulled in that direction dont fight it....you may have a certain touch that Down's Syndrome peeps will need....


what is it with people and wantin to know what is going on in other peoples' lives? it is totally irksome....SHISH...

Popular posts from this blog

International Women's Day Reflection: Take Back Your Body ( And Mindset)

All The Times I DIed

Kids Say The Darndest Things